No add/remove programs entry

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:47 AM
I followed the instructions in the pdf for creating an msi for my web application.  Everything seems to work as expected, except that I don't have a entry in control panel add/remove programs to uninstall my application.  What am I missing?  Running on Vista.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Mike
Dec 8, 2008 at 12:34 AM
I also want to know how to do it?
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2008 at 3:08 PM
Hi sorry for the late reply.

good question!
Technically - it can be done as it is the default.
But: we did remove this - sorry about it - but please read why:

There are 3 reasons why we removed the feature that web apps can be uninstalled:
1) the same installer should be able to run multiple times, e.g. when you want to install the same web application into different websites on the same server.
2) we did not want to leave anything in the registry after the installer is run.
3) after the installer is finished it has no chance of tracking what an administrator does to the installed website afterwards, e.g. creating new files, renaming databases, moving websites,... so after some time a deinstallation would be very tricky and a "best guess".
Rather than implementing something with a high risk of failure in a generic template -> we skipped it. (Our approach was to write a install.log file into the websites folder.)

cheers,
Bernhard

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2009 at 11:36 AM

thanks to renyu from China:
-----

i delete the

<PublishFeatures Suppress="yes">0</PublishFeatures>
      <RegisterProduct Suppress="yes">0</RegisterProduct>
      <PublishProduct Suppress="yes">0</PublishProduct>
      <RegisterUser Suppress="yes">0</RegisterUser>

but when i remove programes, the default website of iis  is deleted.

so now ,i can not do it ..
-----

B.